On a Budget? 10 Ways To Save Money When Remodeling
Saving money on a remodel doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice quality or style. There are some great alternatives that you can use that will help you to get the home you want, without having to fork over a great deal of money on those extras!
Here is a list of alternatives for your home that look great, function well, and cost much less than the traditional option.
- Hollow core doors – There are some very nice hollow core doors on the market. They are lighter and less expensive than solid doors. Since these doors are used in the interior of the home, there isn’t a security concern.
- Fiberglass tub enclosures – Fiberglass tub enclosures can convert an old tub into a beautiful new space. They are inexpensive and easy to install. They come in hundreds of colors and styles.
- Laminate flooring – Hardwood flooring is expensive, but a laminate floor looks the same at a huge discount. You will get the same effect for a fraction of the cost.
- Pre-hung doors – Pre-hung doors come already installed in a door frame. This saves a great of time at the job site, which of course saves money.
- Direct vent gas fireplace – Because this type of fireplace doesn’t need a chimney flue, it is less expensive and easier to install than other types of gas fireplaces.
- Prefinished decorative trim – Prefinished decorative trim can save a great deal of time painting and finishing. You can find this type of trim in most stores or your contractor can locate it for you.
- Chrome plumbing fixtures – There are many different types of plumbing fixtures, but chrome is still the least expensive and last for years.
- Laminate countertops – Just like flooring, laminate countertops come in a bunch of different styles, but are very inexpensive.
- Neutral colors – Neutral colors tend to be much less expensive than bright or unique colors, because they are manufactured in larger quantities.
- Refinish, don’t replace – Refinishing cabinets is much less expensive than installing new ones. You can choose from many different finishes and styles.
These are just a few ideas for saving money on a remodel. Looking for alternatives can save thousands of dollars on your project and still give you a wonderful space to live in. If you’re actively planning a remodel and trying to make your budget work, mention some of your cost concerns and keep these 10 areas in mind.